I was asked to help with a woodworking project and build a stencil for a large (18″ tall) skull that would be painted and then areas be cut away. I redrew the design to clean it up and make it symmetrical, but the overall size exceeded what I can cut on my Silhouette Cameo. So I broke it into two large decals, with registration marks in the eye (will be cut out anyway) and then made another smaller decal to cover the seam so no paint would sneak through. Hopefully it will come out well, this is one project where someone else gets to do all the woodworking.
Drawn in MyPaint on my Intuos 4, traced into vector graphic in Inkscape.
lego technic bracelets
About a month ago I made a bracelet completely out of LEGO Technic parts. It worked out pretty nicely and I couldn’t find anyone else that was making something similar, so I thought I would try selling them on etsy. It just stinks that LEGO is such an expensive medium to make things with.
Our little cat absolutely loves playing under a piece of cardboard we fold up as a tent for him. But it always falls down, so I thought I’d make him a permanent one he could jump on.
I cut two or three wardrobe boxes into 1 1/2 inch strips on my bandsaw and then into 15 1/4 inch lengths with a 30 degree bevel on each side. I forgot to buy more glue so the above picture was as far as I got with what I had. It will be about 2 feet long when it’s complete.
Feets of Cardboard
Master Sword Painted
We finally finished up the master sword with stain, paint, and a clear coat.
Master Sword stain mask
Master Sword detail paints
Master Sword Painted
Master sword finished
This afternoon after church, we finished the master sword! Well cutting and assembling, we still need to stain some parts and paint on some details.
I decided that while the jig idea I found would probably have worked, I would just cut the parts on the scroll saw this time to get it done this weekend. I still have the templates if I want to make any more and build the jigs. Pictures of the final steps and assembly below.
pieces cut out and “sharp edge” routed
The sled setup I used to dado out the recess that wraps the blade
Gluing on the the crossguards
Cutting triangles for the Tri-Force. I cheat too often and use the computer to draw angles, so I thought I should resort to some 8th grade math.
This was how the sword compared to the cardboard mock-up. We decided to make it longer after we’d cut out the mock-up.
Master sword finished
Crossguard template cut
Blade and handle template cut
Templates screwed to production boards
Quickly trimmed on scrollsaw and ready for first trim bit attempt
Yesterday we got started building my son’s Master Sword from Legend of Zelda. We started with paper templates to cut some wooden templates from. The idea was to then screw the templates to the final boards and reproduce them with a router trim bit.
Holding them by hand on my router table caused a ton of chipping, tear-outs, and throwing the wood around. I’m gonna have to try a jig similar to this or just scrollsaw all the pieces.
Almost 2 1/2 years ago I built my oldest son a Dwarven Axe to his specifications and now my youngest has decided what he would like me to make him. He’s been playing lots of Zelda lately, though we don’t have a Switch, and wanted me to build him a wooden Master Sword. The design above is what I planned out and finally settled on based on pictures and a cardboard mock-up we made to test the scale and measurements. We bought the board for it last weekend and should be cutting on Saturday. Hopefully I remember to take pictures throughout the process. I still haven’t gotten my oldest to decide what he wants to do with his axe. Teenagers…
sword cardboard mock-up
Staining Die Numbers
I got a custom request through etsy to make an icosahedron and stain the numbers on it for a young couple. That whole process was quite a bit of work, but I think it came out nicely. Haven’t heard back from them yet, but I really hope they like it.
cutting a plaque
The last few weekends I have been working on a prototype plaque for an organization. I made a vinyl stencil, scroll-sawed around it, then masked off the edges and painted. I need to get a laser cutter, I could crank these out in minutes. This is just a process shot I took while cutting.