I decided to try selling my Worship Crew shirt design on teespring for a very small profit, if anyone is interested in building a little uniformity in your tech team ministry. They can be purchased here!
I have somewhat of an unhealthy obsession with both the Iron Man Hulkbuster armor and LEGO, so in 2015 when they released the first licensed set (76031), I bought it immediately. That set had quite a few things that I thought could have been improved (feet, upper arms, overall flexibility, etc.) but it was the first of its kind and has been on my desk ever since.
In 2018, just before the new Avenger’s: Infinity War movie movie was released, LEGO unveiled two new Hulkbuster sets. One of them is an ultimate collectors edition (76105), has 1300+ pieces, stands over 9 inches tall and is $120.00. (My personal man-childness is not quite at the level where I can convince myself that’s a justifiable purchase.) The other set (76104) ties directly into the Infinity War movie, was much more reasonably priced, and looked like it was enough of an improvement from the 2015 set that I went ahead and bought it.
Having now put them side-by-side, the 2018 set is a huge improvement in the feet and torso, but the legs seemed stuck in some half-squat position and the upper arms still seemed a little barren. So, I decided to cannibalize the 2015 set to make some improvements to the newer one. I was also away from my normal LEGO resources at the time, so I literally only had those pieces available to work with. Overall I think the legs are much better, I made some slight modifications to the scale and flexibility of the arms, and I added more details here and there with spare parts. Now the torso is probably too small for the scale of the limbs, but beefing that up will have to be a future project. This whole idea was largely inspired by the amazing work of flickr user ChubbyBots and his amazing work building custom LEGO mechs and improving official sets (like this!).
Our oldest son will be graduating highschool this summer, so my wife and I wanted to make him a nice chest to hold all the things we’ve been collecting for him since he was a baby. I thought I would make a prototype first, before making a bunch of mistakes with more expensive hardwood, and I sured “learned” quite a few lessons in the process. I decided to use lock-rabbit joints for simplicity with the tools I had. Overall, I think this one came out a little rough around the edges but nice. We are going to tweak the dimensions and the design a bit and then carefully create the real thing.
Hey look, I made a thing! Unfortunately, it’s a shelf, which I seem to make a lot of.
I have a tendency to buy lots of little trinkets and toys I want to put on my desk, and then not have much actual space to place them, so I made a double decker shelf. I decided not to do any fancy routing of even finish for the time being, because I just wanted to get it done. My wife and I think it actually looks nice unfinished. I also thought I would use pocket screws to mate the top and bottom to the sides, not thinking that I would not have much room inside to drive the screw into the final side. I ended up having to use the smallest socket wrench I had, a 1/4″ socket and a bit to screw on the top.
I decided to build a french cleat into the back of the shelf instead of traditional hangers. I made a bunch of little 1×2″ cleats and screwed two into the wall to mount it. I think that will give me more flexibility in the future if I want to adjust it or make something bigger.
The last little job I did today was to add another small shelf off my monitor stand to hold up my LEGO Saturn V rocket. I’m calling it launch pad 39V.
A few months back, we visited New Orleans while on vacation, and my youngest son bought a print from an artist named Tesfaye Negusse. He decided on the size, design, and color for the frame I built for it.
First Apologies for the awful cellphone pictures, I forgot to come back and take some better ones. This year with the addition of the LEGO train and the train station, we had to add extra space to the front of our buffet. Next year, I plan to get an even bigger rectangular table and make them the same height so I can weave the train track through the town. It was also a frequent thing that our young cat would go Meowthra on the display and there would be a few things to put back when I got home.
Another LEGO build I finished up before the new year was thanks to the building instruction of Miro Dudas. I simplified the main body, changed out the parts for the side cannons, and I am still trying to figure out the best piece for the front of the head/cockpit. So far, Mixel eyes are my favorite…
Ever since I saw Tyler Clites creation of a LEGO Iron Giant bust about a year ago, I have wanted to make one for myself. It took some time to assemble to parts, an order to bricklink for the dome pieces, and a trip to the local LEGO resale store, but I finally had everything I thought I would need to build a darker version of Tyler’s bust (early hiding in the woods part of the movie). The head was inspired by Tyler’s build, with a bunch of little tweaks to get it where I wanted it.
About the same time I was making my last toy car, I thought to make one for some friends of ours that would be having a little boy shortly before Christmas. Since it was a gift, I didn’t want to post it until they had received it. I didn’t have any particularly sentimental piece of wood to make it out of, but I did pattern it after her car, a Scion xB.