stained glass cartoon
Our local art center was offering a class on stained glass window making, so my wife signed me up as an early birthday present. It’s one night a week for 8 weeks, so I thought I would document some of the process on my blog. The first week we learned about all the steps in the process, the tools involved and tried our hands at making different styles and shapes of cuts on scrap pieces of glass. Towards the end of the class we got to pick out a “cartoon” of a design we liked, and duplicate it with carbon paper onto a sheet of oak tag like paper. I originally considered trying to do a custom design, but thought I’d stick to one of the designs the teacher brought for my first attempt. This was the design I liked the most.
stained glass board
One of the things on the extensive list of supplies we needed to get in the first week was a board which we would be doing all the layout and assembly on. We could purchase one, but I took this as homework and just made one. It’s 1/2″ plywood with about a 3/4″ high right angle border. The lines I just added to hopefully reveal if my angles start going wonky.
The other thing I did was digitally recreate the design from the cartoon in Inkscape so I could quickly try out lots of combinations of colors to fill the panels. Eventually I settled on this design. Now I need to head to the local art glass studio to buy some glass ahead of the next class. Then I get to start cutting.
I thought I would post all the steps and layers I normally use in Krita to do digital inking and coloring. I built all these images after the drawing was complete so it would show the stacking of all the layers on the right.
My wife picked up these four matching quilling cards of the four seasons at an art show in Iowa this summer. We couldn’t figure out how we wanted to frame them, either as a long row or a square. In the end, my wife liked the idea of framing them as these two pairs and we could display the frames either way. The biggest challenge was that the quilling was on the form of 5×7 cards, so I didn’t have much to work with for margins. I tried to add a complimenting splash of color and a very thin mat inside an equally thin frame. The wood still needs some work, but we haven’t decided on a final finish yet.
quilling frame carnage
quilling frames layout
Memory Chest Prototype
Our oldest son will be graduating highschool this summer, so my wife and I wanted to make him a nice chest to hold all the things we’ve been collecting for him since he was a baby. I thought I would make a prototype first, before making a bunch of mistakes with more expensive hardwood, and I sured “learned” quite a few lessons in the process. I decided to use lock-rabbit joints for simplicity with the tools I had. Overall, I think this one came out a little rough around the edges but nice. We are going to tweak the dimensions and the design a bit and then carefully create the real thing.
Lock Rabbit Joint
Memory Chest Prototype
cutting a plaque
The last few weekends I have been working on a prototype plaque for an organization. I made a vinyl stencil, scroll-sawed around it, then masked off the edges and painted. I need to get a laser cutter, I could crank these out in minutes. This is just a process shot I took while cutting.
A while back I drew a logo for our quaint little clapboard church. So, they of course decided to build a new worship center and they’ve been asking for a similar logo. This is what I finally came up with.
church logo process
I decided to render a quick step-by-step process video for my Cap’n-A doodle. (The movie was great!) Most of the drawing was in MyPaint (some corrections in Krita) and textures in The GIMP.
2. Subdue the sketch
3. Lines (front foot was junk)
4. New foot
5. Extra line weight and fills
6. Ground Shadow
7. Gray-tone colors
8. Add background texture
9. Layout shadows on figure
10. Color multiply the shadows
11. Add texture to figure
Pepper’s Funk by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
tree – plans
tree – cut and laid out
tree – louvers spine
tree – base plate and braces
tree – assembling
Finally getting around to posting some process shots from our wooden Christmas Tree.
This a clean-up of a doodle from some time back. All the captured work was done in MyPaint in Linux.
Aces High – Funkorama by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Categories: doodle, how, video
Tags: battle, capture, dog, doodle, drawing, mypaint, process, pug, tank, video, war, workflow
I haven’t done a video capture for awhile, so I thought I’d do one this weekend. I originally tried capturing the sketch and inking phase, but my settings were all screwed up. Another day I suppose…
Music: Cold Funk – Funkorama by Kevin MacLeod (links and licensing on the youTube page.)