Stained Glass Lamp Shade
Greetings Internet Peoples! It’s been far too long since I’ve taken time to post, and while I’ve been quite busy, I still had time for a few projects along the way. I’ll try to get all caught up over the next week or so.
The lamp shade at the top of this post is one I made in the last stained glass class I took. We picked those colors to connect with a small collection of sea glass we’ve been gathering over the years when we lived near the coasts. The idea is eventually to find or build a base that we will fill with the glass, but for now, this one looks nice too. This was a complicated build because I had to cut six of everything and I had little margin for size deviations or the panes would not line up. It was definitely challenging but a fun project.
Cut Stained Glass
Glass Shield Finished
I finished my second stained glass class a few weeks ago, but it’s been too hectic to post the results. Overall, I like how my little Captain America Shield came out (though the outer edge still needs a little work to be consistently smooth). I like being able to do both the lead came and the copper foil method, as they each have applications where they are better suited.
Shield front-side soldered
back-side ready to solder
copper foil window
I enjoyed the last stained glass class I took so much, I decided to take the next one which teaches the copper foil technique instead of lead came. We are making small fans that can be put infront of a nightlight, but I didn’t like any of the patterns that were offered so I figured out my own. It was between Captain America’s shield or Captain Marvel’s crest. I told the teacher that I was cheating in the last class because almost all my cuts were straight lines, so I am paying my penance this time. This first image was from cutting during the first night and the one below was the aftermath. (I normally try to produce much less waste, but it was important that the grain of the glass all radiates from the center, so I had to lose a little bit more.)
copper foil aftermath
The last two images are from the foiling process, which I did mostly at home. Next step is to spot solder the joints and then solder over all the copper tape.
privacy window finished
This is what my second window looks like all puttied and polished. We are going to hang it in the very window, but up 12-14 inches so the cats can still peer out underneath it. I just need to go get the hooks and some chain before I can install it.
The last night of class I had my second window all ready to go for soldering. The two major steps in the process that I don’t have my own tools for are grinding and soldering, so I was happy to get this step done on the last night.
First pieces of lead
Since I only have two classes left to try and get this window finished I had to do as much work at home as I could. I got through a good chunk of the leading before I found that a few of the pieces would need some work at the grinder to get it all to fit. It also didn’t exactly line up with the cartoon underneath because of my eyeballing the cuts earlier. But the error is at least consistent across all the pieces. By the end of this week, I was able to grind everything to fit and get it ready to solder during the last week.
down the side
lead all assembled
So I was able to finish my first window on the 6th week of class after getting is all soldered together in week 5. The last steps I got to complete was to pack in putty on both sides between the glass and the lead, and then take the thing outside to temper the putty and polish the glass panes with this stuff called “whiting”. It also displaces small amounts of lead and makes the solder and the came blend in together.
starting to mud
both sides puttied
new window template layout and count
With three weeks left of class and being almost completely done with my first window, I’ve been working on a second window for our front door that will use the left over blue glass. My wife and I played around with the layout and pane arrangement until we found something we liked.
paper cartoon templates
logan glass cutter
I cut some templates for different pane sizes on my silhouette cameo, and then figured out how many I would need of each type of glass. I also bought the glass cutter for my Logan mat cutting board, which made perfect sized straight cuts super easy.
cartoon print parts (4 pages)
cartoon printed and cut
second window cut
The last thing I was able to get done was printing out the cartoon for this design, which spanned across four sheets of paper. It’s difficult to tell with the glass laying on the cartoon, but the clear pieces are a mix of transparent and warbly (I think I just made that word up) privacy glass. I also changed up the layout ever so slightly at the far ends after I had printed out the cartoon, so I just changed it in red pen. So now that I have all the panes of glass cut, I can start putting the lead in this window as soon as I’m done with my first one.
Oh, I also built a new board for this window since it’s three feet long. It would have gone right off the side of my old board.
This week in class, I was able to finally get my window all soldered together and put some loops on to hang it. I didn’t have enough time to do the final step of filling all the gaps with putty, buffing all the solder and lead to blend them together, and cleaning up all the glass. I should be able to finish all of that next week and get started on my next window! Only three weeks left.
This week was all about leading, and I got the whole thing laid up on the board. Next week will be soldering, adding paste, and clean-up.
First three panes
Full Bottom Side
Starting the Center
All Done Leading