new window template layout and count
With three weeks left of class and being almost completely done with my first window, I’ve been working on a second window for our front door that will use the left over blue glass. My wife and I played around with the layout and pane arrangement until we found something we liked.
paper cartoon templates
logan glass cutter
I cut some templates for different pane sizes on my silhouette cameo, and then figured out how many I would need of each type of glass. I also bought the glass cutter for my Logan mat cutting board, which made perfect sized straight cuts super easy.
cartoon print parts (4 pages)
cartoon printed and cut
second window cut
The last thing I was able to get done was printing out the cartoon for this design, which spanned across four sheets of paper. It’s difficult to tell with the glass laying on the cartoon, but the clear pieces are a mix of transparent and warbly (I think I just made that word up) privacy glass. I also changed up the layout ever so slightly at the far ends after I had printed out the cartoon, so I just changed it in red pen. So now that I have all the panes of glass cut, I can start putting the lead in this window as soon as I’m done with my first one.
Oh, I also built a new board for this window since it’s three feet long. It would have gone right off the side of my old board.
I found a bunch of pictures that I had never posted last year I thought I would put on the blog. The first was a small garbage can (not my original idea) that I made for my dad’s camper. I teased it here.
Next were two process pictures I took while making the wooden Zelda masterswords. One was routing the blade edges and the other was the carnage that resulted from their production.
Christmas tree bracing
The final picture is of the repair job I had to do for our Christmas tree. My initial build was sturdy enough for me to gently move it about, but did not survive so well from our movers last summer. I took the whole thing apart and added a brace to the entire length of every level, plus a handle to pick the thing up with.
Categories: crafty, how, pictures
Tags: camper, christmas, legend of zelda, master sword, process, repairs, sword, trash, tree, vinyl decal, wooden
This week in class, I was able to finally get my window all soldered together and put some loops on to hang it. I didn’t have enough time to do the final step of filling all the gaps with putty, buffing all the solder and lead to blend them together, and cleaning up all the glass. I should be able to finish all of that next week and get started on my next window! Only three weeks left.
This week was all about leading, and I got the whole thing laid up on the board. Next week will be soldering, adding paste, and clean-up.
First three panes
Full Bottom Side
Starting the Center
All Done Leading