Master sword finished
This afternoon after church, we finished the master sword! Well cutting and assembling, we still need to stain some parts and paint on some details.
I decided that while the jig idea I found would probably have worked, I would just cut the parts on the scroll saw this time to get it done this weekend. I still have the templates if I want to make any more and build the jigs. Pictures of the final steps and assembly below.
pieces cut out and “sharp edge” routed
The sled setup I used to dado out the recess that wraps the blade
Gluing on the the crossguards
Cutting triangles for the Tri-Force. I cheat too often and use the computer to draw angles, so I thought I should resort to some 8th grade math.
This was how the sword compared to the cardboard mock-up. We decided to make it longer after we’d cut out the mock-up.
Master sword finished
Crossguard template cut
Blade and handle template cut
Templates screwed to production boards
Quickly trimmed on scrollsaw and ready for first trim bit attempt
Yesterday we got started building my son’s Master Sword from Legend of Zelda. We started with paper templates to cut some wooden templates from. The idea was to then screw the templates to the final boards and reproduce them with a router trim bit.
Holding them by hand on my router table caused a ton of chipping, tear-outs, and throwing the wood around. I’m gonna have to try a jig similar to this or just scrollsaw all the pieces.
Windows 10 has a pretty nice screen capture capability built into the X-Box app, so I decided to record a doodle. I’m still trying to get used to the thing. I’m not used to having my hand in the way of my screen. I’m also going to have to switch some of the software I’ve been using. I could only get pressure sensitivity to work in 32-bit Krita and not at all in MyPaint, which I’m much more comfortable drawing with. Time to learn new tricks I suppose.
I was asked to make a two sided wayfaring sign for a friend’s work which was a new challenge for me. I decided to do the graphics on foam board, and sandwich it between two pieces of plexiglass in a custom frame. I also drew the crazy looking duck for them.
When challenged to make a twenty sided widget (icosahedron) from solid wood, I looked about on these here intertubes for some assistance to no avail. Lot’s of guides on making the polygon out of paper and even a few about shaving and gluing a bunch of equilateral triangles together for a hollow creation. I had to figure it out on my own, so I thought I’d share.
For anyone that would be interested in purchasing some handmade ones from my etsy store, please feel free to contact me there or in the comments below!
Start with a Cube:
start with a cube
While looking at a borrowed D20, I noticed that there appeared to be triangle pairs that were the same on six opposing sides of the die. So i figured out how to make one starting with a cube. The blue lines above show the orientation of the shared edges for these triangle pairs. Continue reading
Categories: crafty, how, pictures
Tags: blender, d20, dice, how-to, icosahedron, sided, solid, twenty, wood
As promised, I finally got around to making a video of the colorizing process I mentioned a few posts ago. I choose to doodle Donatello from the TMNT since it would be quick to draw with a very simple color palette and the new show is starting this month. Enjoy!