Knick Knack Shelf
Hey look, I made a thing! Unfortunately, it’s a shelf, which I seem to make a lot of.
I have a tendency to buy lots of little trinkets and toys I want to put on my desk, and then not have much actual space to place them, so I made a double decker shelf. I decided not to do any fancy routing of even finish for the time being, because I just wanted to get it done. My wife and I think it actually looks nice unfinished. I also thought I would use pocket screws to mate the top and bottom to the sides, not thinking that I would not have much room inside to drive the screw into the final side. I ended up having to use the smallest socket wrench I had, a 1/4″ socket and a bit to screw on the top.
I decided to build a french cleat into the back of the shelf instead of traditional hangers. I made a bunch of little 1×2″ cleats and screwed two into the wall to mount it. I think that will give me more flexibility in the future if I want to adjust it or make something bigger.
The last little job I did today was to add another small shelf off my monitor stand to hold up my LEGO Saturn V rocket. I’m calling it launch pad 39V.
Knick Knack Shelf Cleat
Knick Knack Shelf Loaded
Knick Knack Shelf Plans
Categories: crafty, how, LEGO, pictures
Tags: desk, french cleat, inkscape, knick knack, LEGO, plans, shelf, toys
In my continuing efforts to work more on drawing the female form, I thought I would take a stab at Batgirl. Not happy with it, but it’s not horrible.
Proportions are a little off, pose is wonky, needs more dynamic action…
Original in pencil and brushpen, quickly converted to lines in Inkscape, then some fixes in Krita. All on my Surface Pro 3.
we are the light of the world
I was working on a deisgn for my wife’s preschool classroom and this was one of the directions she didn’t want. I thought I would post it here.
I was asked to help with a woodworking project and build a stencil for a large (18″ tall) skull that would be painted and then areas be cut away. I redrew the design to clean it up and make it symmetrical, but the overall size exceeded what I can cut on my Silhouette Cameo. So I broke it into two large decals, with registration marks in the eye (will be cut out anyway) and then made another smaller decal to cover the seam so no paint would sneak through. Hopefully it will come out well, this is one project where someone else gets to do all the woodworking.
Drawn in MyPaint on my Intuos 4, traced into vector graphic in Inkscape.
I was asked to help illustrate a story book as a gift for someone leaving an organization, and this is one of the model sheets I made up for the different support characters. Overall, I think the book did a good job humorously capturing the many feats of this beloved colleague.
I did the initial sketches on paper and in Krita, but the finished art was done all in Inkscape. I built the characters as interchangeable parts for consistency across the pages and to speed things up. I ended up having to recreate so many different hands and arm/leg positions that I don’t know if it really made anything faster, but they definitely looked the same throughout.
Categories: doodle, requests
Tags: characters, doodle, dwarf, elf, enchantress, gnome, inkscape, model sheet, snake, spider, wizard
I’m trying to push my posing a little bit, so who better to start with then ‘ol crazy legs Spider-man. I built most of this in Inkscape trying to minimize the number of shape defining lines. I might find time to shade it someday.
The signature edition of Iron Giant came out on BluRay a few days ago, filled with tons of great special features and commentary. The film has also been remastered with some new/enhanced scenes added. I’m also excited about the art book that’s coming out on the 20th. I had to doodle the big lug.
A while back I drew a logo for our quaint little clapboard church. So, they of course decided to build a new worship center and they’ve been asking for a similar logo. This is what I finally came up with.
church logo process
I scribbled this little guy out in a meeting, inspired by the Helldivers skull logo. I also tried to keep the lines really light and took a picture before shading it. Below are three different attempts to clean up the inks. Left: in The GIMP using color levels to strip out everything but the black (learned from here). Center: taking the levels one into Inkscape and tracing the bitmap with the brightness cutoff threshold at 0.55. Right: again starting with the levels one, and having The GIMP define a path around the lines, then stroking them with a 1pt solid line, and filling.
I like the Inkscape trace the best. I’ll probably color this guy sometime…
I was farting around drawing some random tattoo ideas a few days ago and wandered off for sometime drawing this. It reminded me a lot of a wooden block print kind of style. Have a great memorial day weekend!
I scribbled a base out in MyPaint then designed the whole thing in Inkscape.