Recently I was asked to help recreate an organization’s mascot from a grainy old 40’s-50’s cartoon. Initially we thought it was a squirrel, but found out after I drew this that it was a different animal entirely. So I colored this guy up and posted it here.
Lines in traditional pencil and ink, colors in Krita.
leather sketchbook cover
I recently worked on a custom leather sketchbook case from the incredible leathersmith behind Batsugun Leather Co. I drew up this design, he greatly improved upon it, and I’m super excited about the progress pictures I’ve seen so far. I cannot wait to see the final thing in person!
custom plastic ico
I got a request to build a lightweight icosahedron that was sturdy enough it could be thrown around for a family game. I decided to make a hollow one out of corrugated plastic, screwed to an internal frame. I think if i had to build another, i would just use foamboard and serious glue to completely leave out the screws.
plastic ico top
plastic ico belt and bottom
plastic ico assembled
plastic ico side sheet
custom plastic ico
Large Ico Prototype
This is a cardboard prototype I put together for a custom icosahedron order I may be building for someone on etsy. The final will be made of sturdier materials. This prototype was mostly to determine size, which was a little too big.
Not sure what to call this but bird cage is about right. My wife has started looking for Christmas gift ideas this year and stumbled across something similar to this. It looked like fun to try making so I hit the garage after dinner and started cutting a little hunk of poplar. It was interesting, maybe fun, but I definitely learned a few things. Maybe after some fine tuning of the scroll saw, i might crank out some Christmas themed ones this year.
I was asked to help with a woodworking project and build a stencil for a large (18″ tall) skull that would be painted and then areas be cut away. I redrew the design to clean it up and make it symmetrical, but the overall size exceeded what I can cut on my Silhouette Cameo. So I broke it into two large decals, with registration marks in the eye (will be cut out anyway) and then made another smaller decal to cover the seam so no paint would sneak through. Hopefully it will come out well, this is one project where someone else gets to do all the woodworking.
Drawn in MyPaint on my Intuos 4, traced into vector graphic in Inkscape.
I was asked to help illustrate a story book as a gift for someone leaving an organization, and this is one of the model sheets I made up for the different support characters. Overall, I think the book did a good job humorously capturing the many feats of this beloved colleague.
I did the initial sketches on paper and in Krita, but the finished art was done all in Inkscape. I built the characters as interchangeable parts for consistency across the pages and to speed things up. I ended up having to recreate so many different hands and arm/leg positions that I don’t know if it really made anything faster, but they definitely looked the same throughout.
Categories: doodle, requests
Tags: characters, doodle, dwarf, elf, enchantress, gnome, inkscape, model sheet, snake, spider, wizard
Staining Die Numbers
I got a custom request through etsy to make an icosahedron and stain the numbers on it for a young couple. That whole process was quite a bit of work, but I think it came out nicely. Haven’t heard back from them yet, but I really hope they like it.
I was asked to make a two sided wayfaring sign for a friend’s work which was a new challenge for me. I decided to do the graphics on foam board, and sandwich it between two pieces of plexiglass in a custom frame. I also drew the crazy looking duck for them.
Picture Letter Frame
A family friend had one of those picture letter things made for their family but could never find a frame it would fit in. So I just made her one.