For Father’s day this year, my family got me the LEGO Ideas Saturn V rocket. It’s huge! I have no idea where I’m going to display it. I actually ran to the LEGO store here in town a few weeks prior once I saw they had sold out online and was lucky that they still had two left when I got there. A couple shots from the build are below.
Monthly Archives: June 2017
I was asked to help with a woodworking project and build a stencil for a large (18″ tall) skull that would be painted and then areas be cut away. I redrew the design to clean it up and make it symmetrical, but the overall size exceeded what I can cut on my Silhouette Cameo. So I broke it into two large decals, with registration marks in the eye (will be cut out anyway) and then made another smaller decal to cover the seam so no paint would sneak through. Hopefully it will come out well, this is one project where someone else gets to do all the woodworking.
Drawn in MyPaint on my Intuos 4, traced into vector graphic in Inkscape.
I took our boys to go see the Wonder Woman movie a few weeks back and just this weekend had enough down time (not allocated to making stuff for others) that I could doodle this mighty heroine. If you’ve followed my work for any amount of time, you may notice that I don’t often draw the female form. I find it difficult to capture their physiology without reverting to ridiculous comic book proportions, so I normally just avoid it all together. This is something I need to work on though, so I gave her a shot.
Doodled in Krita on my Surface Pro 3.
I also started a video capture of the inking process, which I tried to hurry through and was defeated continually by her left hand. Eventually I gave up. Observe my failures below.
I was asked to help illustrate a story book as a gift for someone leaving an organization, and this is one of the model sheets I made up for the different support characters. Overall, I think the book did a good job humorously capturing the many feats of this beloved colleague.
I did the initial sketches on paper and in Krita, but the finished art was done all in Inkscape. I built the characters as interchangeable parts for consistency across the pages and to speed things up. I ended up having to recreate so many different hands and arm/leg positions that I don’t know if it really made anything faster, but they definitely looked the same throughout.
When the show Cutthroat Kitchen first came out, my youngest accidentally said Cutthroat Chicken, and that has pretty much stuck in our household. For some reason, I just got a visual of that for the first time a few days ago and thought I would doodle it.
Drawn in Krita on my Surface Pro 3.