My mother-in-law’s spirit animal is Eeyore. She found a picture like this with the text in standard Meme writing that she wanted for her desk, but I thought I’d try to do something a little nicer. So I had to paint Eeyore out of the background, isolate him separately, and then cut and assemble. Hopefully she will like it.
Posts Tagged With: craft
After some sanding and painting, the wood scrap outline piece is all done. I’ve got another one, but it’s a present so I can’t share that one yet.
A few months ago I ran into the amazing work of Dolan Geimer on etsy or somewhere, and wanted to create something smaller but in that vein for my wife. With the help of my good friend Kevin, I’ve been amassing a collection of wooden scraps to make this possible. I just need to sand off some wood putty and finish painting the outside.
This was way easier now that I have a miter saw. I’m going to have to start keeping track of how many I’ve got out in the garage (9). I’m not counting my rotary tool and my router.
- table saw
- miter saw
- band saw
- scroll saw
- circular saw
- spiral cut saw (had forever)
- jig saw (had even longer)
- mini-hack saw
- coping saw
My youngest came home from school last week and said I needed to make him an Enderdragon costume for some school show. I talked him down to an Enderdragon head with a black t-shirt, and challenge accepted! I decided to build it all around an old bike helmet so he would have control of movement, instead of just a box sitting on his shoulders. My cardboard creation is documented below.
After I started making all my different sized and shaped widgets, someone challenged me to try making a D20 (twenty sided die). I present my first, full-sized (3.5″), solid wood, D20. I’ve made the same shape from paper before but had to cut out a little rough wooden prototype a few weeks back to figure this one out. Turns out, 42 really is the answer! Not sure how I’ll number or finish it?
I finally got the Love piece I’ve been working on painted and stained. I did a satin black acrylic on the inside cutaway space, and then a black cherry finish on the face and sides. The finish was a little more purple than I anticipated but it still looks nice. Now to finish it off with a clear coat and put some hangers on the back.
A few weeks back, we were watching a friends amazing four year old son after church, who is smitten with his alphabet blocks at home. His mom did not send him with those blocks… So we went to the garage and made him some custom ones to fill in.
To finish up the year, I thought I’d post a few different projects I’ve been unable to put up lately.
For a Christmas gift this year, I made my wife a do-dad to hold all her scarfs in the closet with some re-purposed drawer pulls. I also made this little cedar heart as an ornament and put it in her stocking.
I also seem to be the neighborhood wooden armorer. One of the boy’s friends drew up a sword from a tv show and asked me to cut it out for him. I believe he’s going to keep masking it off and paint it.
This weekend I had a little time to fart around in the garage so I made a few more widgets. The cedar was chipping prety badly when I was shaving the corners with my router. They turned out much better when I just cut the corners on my table saw.
I also built this little rabbit hay feeder as a present.
This weekend, I worked on quite a few different little projects, most of which, still need a little work. Above is what I call my “fidget widget” because I toss it around in the office to keep my hands busy. This one is a 4″x4″x4″ but I made the original as a 4″x4″x6″.
Here’s some pumpkins I cut for the wife out of 1/2″ MDF, and a little twine “thankful” banner I’m making for above the table.
I hammered out quite a few projects I’d been piling up this holiday weekend, this being the most time consuming. It’s a wooden plaque for some friends of ours who just bought their first home. Started life as a flat board I picked up at Michael’s, and after some carving, sanding, carving again, paint, detailing, scuffing, detailing again, and clear coat; it ended up looking like this.