Now that we have more than two drivers in the house we have started this weird shuffling of cars that required a central place to leave the keys. I thought that was the perfect excuse to get out in the garage last week and make a thing! It’s very quick and dirty, made of spare parts I had lying around. Maybe I will paint or stain it someday. An exceedingly short person would also notice that the method I choose to affix it to the refrigerator is not very pretty (an old harddrive magnet).
Posts Tagged With: crafty
This summer, I helped a family friend build a new base for his grandma’s dining room table. The old one had become wobbly and unstable. During the teardown, I kept a few hunks of wood, thinking I could use them for something in the future. I eventually decided to make a little wooden car from one of the pieces both because it was his grandma’s table, and because they have a little boy. The wheels and axles are store bought, though I should have probably made my own.
This was the original shape of the wood. The car has a few places where I left the the rough hewn saw marks and drilled holes that hint back to the piece’s original purpose.
This is quick sign I put together for one of my wife’s friends. Simple pine board, routed and distressed with a vinyl sticker and clear coat to seal it. I used my keyhole bit on the back for mounting.
I used the cable strung across my garage, that’s normally for suspending my silk screen exposure lamp, to let this dry overnight without any bugs attaching themselves.
Our little cat absolutely loves playing under a piece of cardboard we fold up as a tent for him. But it always falls down, so I thought I’d make him a permanent one he could jump on.
I cut two or three wardrobe boxes into 1 1/2 inch strips on my bandsaw and then into 15 1/4 inch lengths with a 30 degree bevel on each side. I forgot to buy more glue so the above picture was as far as I got with what I had. It will be about 2 feet long when it’s complete.
I got a custom request through etsy to make an icosahedron and stain the numbers on it for a young couple. That whole process was quite a bit of work, but I think it came out nicely. Haven’t heard back from them yet, but I really hope they like it.
The last few weekends I have been working on a prototype plaque for an organization. I made a vinyl stencil, scroll-sawed around it, then masked off the edges and painted. I need to get a laser cutter, I could crank these out in minutes. This is just a process shot I took while cutting.
My wife bought a table a few weeks back that was really cute, but the top had been replaced with some veneered fiber board. This seemed like a good time for me to start my pipe-clamp army and I made her a new one (above).
I also threw together this base for my pipe clamps. I bought three 10′ iron pipes and cut them into pairs that are 2′, 3′, 4′, and 6′. I bought four sets of the IRWIN 1/2″ fittings.
We made several of these this year in cedar and pine from something my wife found on Pinterest.
This was a gift that honestly got finished on Christmas day for my wife. We visited some friends for Thanksgiving on the gulf coast, and brought home a bunch of little driftwood pieces. This will be a cute reminder around the house of that wonderful trip.