This project was a custom frame for three prints that my wife wanted to put together. We tried a bunch of different arrangements and considered doing them separately, but eventually decided on the side-by-side layout above. I designed a few different shapes so it wouldn’t just be a big rectangle and built the one my wife liked best. I haven’t painted or stained it yet because we’re still deciding what would look best. I’d like to paint the frame a distressed white and paint the wainscoting a light blue, but who knows what we will settle on. Below are some pictures capturing the process.
Posts Tagged With: custom
I have somewhat of an unhealthy obsession with both the Iron Man Hulkbuster armor and LEGO, so in 2015 when they released the first licensed set (76031), I bought it immediately. That set had quite a few things that I thought could have been improved (feet, upper arms, overall flexibility, etc.) but it was the first of its kind and has been on my desk ever since.
In 2018, just before the new Avenger’s: Infinity War movie movie was released, LEGO unveiled two new Hulkbuster sets. One of them is an ultimate collectors edition (76105), has 1300+ pieces, stands over 9 inches tall and is $120.00. (My personal man-childness is not quite at the level where I can convince myself that’s a justifiable purchase.) The other set (76104) ties directly into the Infinity War movie, was much more reasonably priced, and looked like it was enough of an improvement from the 2015 set that I went ahead and bought it.
Having now put them side-by-side, the 2018 set is a huge improvement in the feet and torso, but the legs seemed stuck in some half-squat position and the upper arms still seemed a little barren. So, I decided to cannibalize the 2015 set to make some improvements to the newer one. I was also away from my normal LEGO resources at the time, so I literally only had those pieces available to work with. Overall I think the legs are much better, I made some slight modifications to the scale and flexibility of the arms, and I added more details here and there with spare parts. Now the torso is probably too small for the scale of the limbs, but beefing that up will have to be a future project. This whole idea was largely inspired by the amazing work of flickr user ChubbyBots and his amazing work building custom LEGO mechs and improving official sets (like this!).
Hello 2018! It’s been a busy last few months, so I am way behind posting stuff here. But I have been working on a few projects that I took some pictures of, so here’s a few rapid-fire posts to catch up.
My wife keeps finding these really cute foil window cling stickers that we’ve decided to put into floating frames and give as gifts. First, we figure out how we want to arrange them and then I build a custom frame to that size. Short of cleaning the glass a dozen times, that’s all there is to it.
I got a request to build a lightweight icosahedron that was sturdy enough it could be thrown around for a family game. I decided to make a hollow one out of corrugated plastic, screwed to an internal frame. I think if i had to build another, i would just use foamboard and serious glue to completely leave out the screws.
I finally finished my mountain design for my custom papersigns. This was the first one I cut out with my silhouette cameo, instead of by hand. It greatly speeds things up, but I wasted quite a few pieces of cardstock and printer toner, getting all the different parts of the process working. Will be working on a San Francisco styled one next. For sale in my etsy.com store.
All the design work was done in inkscape, with the texturing for printing done in The GIMP.